- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup annatto water
- 1 1/2 cups shrimp broth
- 1 egg, well beaten
- cooking oil TOPPING
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 pieces tofu, cut into strips
- 1/2 lb small shrimp, cleaned
- 1 cup papaya
1. Sift the first five batter ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Blend in the annatto water, broth and egg.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Heat oil in high heat for deep-frying.
5. Set aside.
6. Arrange a bed of bean sprouts and green papaya in a saucer.
7. Top with some green onion, tofu strips and shrimps.
8. Add about 1/3 cup of batter.
9. Slide the mixture carefully into the hot oil.
10. Fry until crisp and brown on both sides.
12. Serve with a mixture of vinegar and crushed garlic for dipping seasoned with salt and pepper